The Eco Marine Power (EMP) Research Institute will co-ordinate research project and research locations so that knowledge and resources can be shared. The institute will also conduct research with other companies working with renewable energy and green shipping related technologies. Companies currently associated with the EMP Research Institute include The Furukawa Battery Company, Teramoto Iron Works & KEI System.
Topics & research areas to be investigated by the institute include:
• Study of ship and marine solar power systems including photovoltaic (PV) panel technologies.
• Airflow around ships and marine structures.
• Ship-based automation, control and monitoring systems.
• Autonomous and unmanned vessels.
• Energy storage technologies including fuel cells.
Starting from mid-2019 EMP will begin working with additional companies within the framework of the EMP Research Institute. In addition, EMP will work with its strategic partners to expand R&D activities at the Onomichi Marine Tech Test Center (MTTC) and on-board ships. Companies interested in joining ongoing or future projects are also encouraged to contact EMP to discuss possible areas of co-operation.
Activities related to the Aquarius Eco Ship and Aquarius Unmanned Surface Vessel (USV) projects will also be co-ordinated by the EMP Research Institute.
Sea News, March 19